cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why do people avoid sale items?

SaverGirl67

Thanks for all the insightful answers. I spoke to a friend of mine today and she said something that makes perfect sense - although I’d never thought of it this way before. But I guess a lot of people like to pretend they have money to spare (whether they really do or not)

So she said my offering to share this deal with this woman was possibly seen by her as a judgement on my part that she obviously didn’t have much money!  I found this kind of shocking and unbelievable at first but the more I think about it the more it makes sense. It would explain why she ended the conversation and also why she looked offended. 

I meant nothing but here’s a great deal - but if she read that as oh poor you - you must be so poor - I honestly don’t know how to answer that. Lol.  Projection is a powerful influence on people’s reactions and has nothing to do with your motivations or thoughts. I thought I was being helpful-but you can only help people who want your help. And that’s not for you to decide. 

Lesson learned. 

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@TXbelle  I’m with you! I don’t mean to be a sandwich meat snob or anything but never been a big fan of those mystery meats, like bologna and mortadella. My hubby loves them, though, inclining SPAM! He ‘oohs’ and ‘aaahs when SPAM commercials come, and all I can think is ‘that looks yucky’…🤢

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@What-Shot  Spoken like a true saver! I’m with you. Don’t get me long - I was a naive and foolish shopper in the past and made plenty of mistakes buying frivolous sales items, mainly clothes and shoes, and only wear once of twice, then ended up donating them. I wish I could go back in time and tell my young-unwise-self to stop wasting MY money 🤣 and invest in ‘quality’ products!!!
Of course, it doesn’t always apply, like perishables, but you get the gist 😉

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@SaverGirl67  Thank you for your (and your friend’s) insight. That totally makes sense. Of course that’s not our intention at all but our generous gestures could be misinterpreted. We need to offer a free webinar to (re)educate consumers! 

What-Shot
Super Saver

@Rickibotta: we might get scolded for posting our SPAM recipes in this thread,  but Once Upon a Time  I grated SPAM, heated it in a fry pan (tossing & turning) until it was evenly browned and crispy. It was my version of imitation bacon bits. 

~ibotta.like.you.mean.it~

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

SPAM - Don't care for it as a food or as something I get in my email.

When I was a kid, we did have SPAM a few times, usually sliced and fried in a pan.

The "fixer" in me wondered what one could say that wouldn't be interpreted as an insult about a "sale".  The best I could come up with is:

• You see the item on sale and say "Holy Cow!  This is a great price for Hillshire Farms lunchmeat.  I got to get some of this."  It is not directed to anyone, but loud enough that others close by could hear it.
  • If others are interested, they might check it out.  If not, they go their merry way.

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@What-Shot

Oh my land.  Spam bits.  Where dey at?   I may have to try this.  Sounds delightful.

I also do spam and eggs, but I cook the spam separately and cut it into small bits.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

TXbelle
Skilled Saver

@Rickibotta , no thank you. Do you remember Sizzlean? That's thin sliced Spam that was supposed to replace bacon. Funny thing, my daughter loved it but hated real bacon. Now she is a very careful eater of mostly farm fresh fruits and veggies with little meat. My husband likes fried Spam with eggs but not me. Not enough ketchup in the universe to make me like Spam. Sorry. We all have peculiarities. There's probably someone who loves Runs, right?

TXbelle
Skilled Saver

Sorry loves Runa. 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@TXbelle

Ketchup should not be used on fine cuts of meat, so I hope DH doesn't ruin his Spam by slathering it in ketchup.

"about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
0 Likes