cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to redeem a Gift Card for Walmart

mmoore01
Deal Master

This post is for @Jensaves2Htown and anyone who has had issues with Walmart Gift Cards purchased from Ibotta or other savings apps.

Gift Cards always include a bar code that can be scanned at the register.  It also has the numbers for the card and a PIN.  

If you use self-checkout, you can use the gift card at the register by using the hand-held scanner.  Here are the steps to use your gift card:

1. After scanning all your items, press the total amount on the screen to pay your total.
  2. Press Walmart Gift Card on the screen. 
  3. The register will say to scan your card, but instead, use the hand-held scanner and scan the bar code on your gift card.  
  4. If you forget Step 2, the register will beep if you try to scan your gift card.
  5. If you have additional gift cards and you still owe money, you can go back to Step 2 for each gift card.
  6. When the full amount is paid at the register, you should get a receipt.  Any remainder on your last gift card will still be there for your next purchase.
  7. If you still owe money but don't have any more gift cards, use cash, credit or debit to pay the remaining amount.

You can also use your gift cards at the regular registers with cashiers.  When it is time to pay, tell the cashier that you are using a gift card.  If they don't know how to do this, mention Shopping Card.  They can use the hand-held scanner to scan your gift card bar code..

If you use Walmart Pickup & Delivery, Walmart does not allow you to use gift cards.  However, you can use the gift cards for Walmart.com orders.

21 Replies

Re: How to redeem a Gift Card for Walmart

Edawn24
Rewards Guide

I’ll add, the last time I used a cashier and mentioned the shop card thing it still wouldn’t work…another employee came over and said the cashier also  has to hit “enter” after.  🙂 

Jensaves2Htown
Core Shopper

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!   The struggle has been real.  I am adding this advice to my notes.  I will let you know next time I shop if I am successful.

Saipan
Deal Expert

An extra step, and not really convenient for single use gift cards, but I always add them to WMPay. Note, I manually key my receipts for ibotta most of the time. Helps keep my mind fresh.

Jensaves2Htown
Core Shopper

@Saipan   How exactly do you manually enter receipts to Ibotta?

0 Likes

Saipan
Deal Expert

Jensaves2Htown
Core Shopper

@Saipan   Thank you. I think, I have used that function before when submitting receipt to Ibotta.

0 Likes

Jensaves2Htown
Core Shopper

@mmoore01   Thanks to you, I was able to pay at Walmart sco for my total paying with my Ibotta earnings using my phone and Ibotta gift card.  I bought batteries separate and was able to scan each gift card from Shopkicks.  Thanks for helping learn how to use these benefits.  These changes will help me save more, as well as, hopefully, avoid reporting to IRS.

0 Likes

Lollykins
Skilled Saver

You can use gift cards with Pickup & Delivery if you add them to WM pay.  I don't have Ibotta linked to WM, so I only buy staples with no rebate via pickup.  I just add my e-giftcards from SK into WM pay wallet, then tell the app to use my GCs  first when paying for my order.

It means my rebate money flows right back into my overall grocery spend.  I used to do Amazon GCs on SK, but hubby got a little too comfortable with all that "free" money sitting on the account.  We had Amazon boxes showing up every day! 🤣🤣🤣

mmoore01
Deal Master

Glad to see that Walmart now allows gift cards for Walmart Pickup & Delivery.  When it first came out, you couldn't use gift cards.  I can only assume it changed when the app was updated last month.