cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help saving money

asheleylowe1199
Rewards Hunter

i have been trying to save more money using this app and couponing and i feel like im not saving much money at all can anyone help me ????

9 Replies

Re: need help saving money

OBSHOP
Rewards Advocate

@asheleylowe1199 

• Establish your budget
  • Set your spending goals
  • Set your savings goals
  • Read the ibotta forum often there are plenty of great deals discussed daily. 

Ready, Set, Shop

Xiao
Core Shopper

Hi @asheleylowe1199@OBSHOP‘s suggestions are great. You definitely need to know your budget first and foremost. Then, get to know the prices of your essentials at your go-to stores. For example, I know I can get a half gallon of oat milk for $2 or less at Mariano’s on sale and with a store coupon. If ibotta has a cash back, I could stack them and get it for a bigger discount, free after offer (FAO), or perhaps a money maker (MM).  Good luck and I hope you enjoy using ibotta as much as I do!

cheryl_123
Saver

@asheleylowe1199 some people find their savings groove with this and other apps right away, and others (like me) take a while to get some momentum. I've been an Ibotta member since 2016 and would save only a couple bucks a month until recently when I decided to commit a good amount of time to figuring out my "system." I echo everyone's suggestions. This forum had helped me tremendously! Plus for me it has helped to track my savings. I don't get too detailed with it. I mostly figure out percentage savings on a particular shopping trip since I usually shop for everything I need, not just deals. If I can get 20 percent overall savings I think I'm doing great. Good luck to you and I hope you have fun with it!

SaverGirl67

@asheleylowe1199   Welcome to the boards!  

I recommend you check out the new user section. There is a lot of info available that you may find helpful. 

The deal stacking section will give you ideas on maximizing discounts by using multiple programs and offers together. I would recommend a slow and steady approach to avoid costly mistakes and burnout. Check this area often as deals come and go quickly. 

Overall you’ll get the most benefit from Ibotta by being open to try new products and brands. You can still save even if you’re band loyal  - but there are many more offers available if you’re not. 

Hope you have fun with it. 

OBSHOP
Rewards Advocate

@asheleylowe1199 

Foremost, discipline is paramount when establishing any type of saving plan.

Another strategy I have used to help me save money is something I read in a magazine in 1996.

1. Establish an account where you can make deposits into with minimal effort. (Bank to bank transfers). To withdraw from this account will require you to physically go to location.(get dresses, get in car, sit in traffic, wait in teller line) do not request ATM card or checks for this account.

2. When you save money on an item or purchases. Pay yourself the save money don't buy more. 

Example- shoes cost $50.00 you pay $20.00 that's a savings of $30.00 you pay yourself the difference in savings. $30.00. At the end of a day out shopping you figure out how much you have saved from, discounts,  rebates, coupons, and freebies. If you would put 1/2 of all you saved into an account in 3 months you will have a nice lil chunk of change. 

Last, never believe you cannot save.  It's a habit that can become a lifestyle. 

Ready, Set, Shop

Janet1964
Deal Ambassador

read these blogs and start small with one new item and see how it goes.

for me this week, it was the depends silhouette. I had never looked at depends as my friend only uses always discreet underwear. She likes the fit better.

anyway, I had not noticed the $10 Ibotta until I saw it on this forum. I went to the store and it was 11.97 for 14 ct. I submitted the rebate making it 1.97. Then I saw there was a coupon for $3 off on coupons.com making it a $1.03 moneymaker. Unfortunately I did not have the 4000 point rebate on my Fetch rewards like some others, but you get the idea. I am older and I might need them one day and they aren’t eating anything in my closet for now. If I find someone that needs them now, I will donate them as they did not cost me anything. In fact, I used the overage to pay for the milk for my cereal. And all I had to do was scan my receipt in two apps.

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@asheleylowe1199   Where do you usually shop?  We generally discuss Walmart, Target, Kroger, Shoprite, Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc. etc.  We all benefit from posting deals, sharing deals etc. and it's just fun too. 

asheleylowe1199
Rewards Hunter

i normally shop at Kroger's Walgreen's and dollar general 

0 Likes

Rickibotta
Rewards Whiz

@asheleylowe1199 

There can be a lot to it.  It depends on what your needs are as well as your wants.

If you are in a position where you are wanting to save money because of your current finances, that is different than you would just like to stretch your dollars further.  Ibotta tends to have offers relating to new offers or new companies.  But that may not help you with your staples.

I buy nearly everything from Kroger, and also Meijer, Aldi.  Occasionally Target, Walgreens, Walmart, CVS.  In general, if you are not extreme couponing, you will tend to pay more at Walgreens or CVS than you will elsewhere.

If you are trying to save on things, you should be using Kroger Cash Back as well.  A lot of offers will have KCB as well as ibotta rebates.  Look out here for deals posted by other community members.

If you are just trying to make your money go further, a few thoughts:

• Shop Kroger or other stores early in the day when they put out discounted meats.  I sometimes get $25 worth of steaks for $5 when they mark them down.  Or buy the 3-lb rolls when they are on sale for $5.74, instead of paying $3.99 / lb.  They also mark down in produce, bakery, etc.
  • Try store brands.  Meijer has corn, green beans, etc cans on sale all the time for 49¢.  If you are not completely brand sensitive, you may save a lot of money using store brands
  • Shop at Aldi or Lidl if you have one of those.  There are perhaps 20 to 25 things I buy at Aldi on a regular basis because I am not brand-sensitive

In the end, it isn't about how much you 'earn' in ibotta as much as it is about how much food you get that you will actually use for the money you spend.

"Remember, coupons are the only money you can print without the Feds getting involved"