cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get others interested in Ibotta.

Ca1
Saver

I have tried sending email and Facebook; however, no luck. So, how do you get someone to join your team?

0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: How do you get others interested in Ibotta.

mmoore01
Rewards Whiz

I have tried to get friends to try Ibotta, but most don't have the time.  But I don't push it much.  I do have some family members who use it on occasion.

There are two ways to get teammates: referrals and Facebook.  Unfortunately, the Facebook process is buggy.  I don't use Facebook, so I can't help there.  Referrals of new Ibotta users can be beneficial if your referrals complete the requirements as a new user.

As for teams, there are only four bonuses that take in the teams Dollar Amounts Spent, but you still have to complete the Number of Offers Redeemed.  From my experience, teammates won't help you much with these bonuses since 40 items should earn you the amount required to earn the bonus.

I would check out this post about teammates:

https://community.ibotta.com/t5/teammates/june-2021-teamwork-thread-add-teammates-here/m-p/39991#M1

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@Ca1 

I try to recruit team members whenever someone asks why am I scanning products when shopping? 

In 2 minutes I explain what ibotta is and show the products in my cart with rebates and offer to send referral link.  I have 8 referrals that have not redeemed offers yet they are circling the drop zone.

So many claim not to have time to save.  I just have to assume they have extra discretionary income and don't mind paying full price for everything.

Paying full price is optional

TXbelle
Skilled Saver
  • @OBSHOP , that's how I found out about Ibotta, someone saw me shopping the reduced for quick sale at Albertsons. She sent my husband and me her referral code which we both used to sign up. That was a mistake on our part. I have talked to 3 women while shopping to tell them about Ibotta. One was way ahead of me and gave me her Fetch code as she talked about Ibotta, etc. The other 2 signed up but only 1 actually used Ibotta so I got the bonus once. Since we can't message our teammates to encourage or tell them about things we share in this group so they can get great deals without spending alot of time, they tend to drop out. Even the person who recruited me hasn't used Ibotta in 2 years. That saddens me that she is not saving like she could. But as @OBSHOP says you don't need teammates to win at Ibottaing.

RCKCreatEnt
Deal Expert

@OBSHOP I got ONE whoppin' 'teammate' almost 2 years ago. Guess how much $$$$ she made - bagel-dot-goose egg-goose egg-goose egg 

Far as I can tell, she hasn't mustered up one lick of curiosity to even rummage her Ibotta app on her own initiative. She has NOT EVEN ONCE called or texted me to ask questions, express concerns or tell me how cool Ibotta is

OBSHOP
Deal Expert

@RCKCreatEnt 

I managed to get one person signed up for Ibotta this weekend.  I know she registered using my referral code.  Now I'm waiting to see if redeems an offer. 

She was curious about the gift cards I was planning on using at Lowe's. How I planned on saving a few dollars. I explained to following to her. 

• Rebate on GC purchase 
  • Military discount 
  • Credit toward monthly bonus 
Paying full price is optional
0 Likes

Janet1964
Super Saver

I agree with @mmoore01 . I have referred several to Ibotta and they say they save a little when they think about using  it, but I never even got paid the referral bonus, so I am not sure if they are or not. It hasn’t helped me at all. Most people tell me they don’t have the time to do it. I show them that I have saved $2,600 in Ibotta alone in less than 10 months and they are impressed and jealous, but don’t want to put in the work for it. I tell them they could do the same.
I have started keeping extensive records since May 2021 and the lowest month, I have saved 66% off my shopping using coupons & rebates. And that doesn’t count the free clothes & gifts that I get by paying with my rewards credit card, and since I pay my balance in full each month - no interest.

altohurtya
Rewards Hunter

I'm another one of those random people who will talk to anyone, anywhere, about anything. (23+ years in the restaurant industry will do that to you.)

I haven't had any successful referrals. However, I have send my link and code to 8, maybe 10, strangers. (All of my friends have money, unlike myself, and don't really bother to save EVERY LAST PENNY they can.)

What I find works best is when I see them buying something that is a current offer on Ibotta, I ask them if they use the app. For example, "Oh, do you have the Ibotta app? That (insert product) is $1.50 off (or whatever the actual# is) and you can use it multiple times in one shopping trip!"

If they don't care I keep walking,but if they're even slightly curious.... I show them the app and ask if I could text them the referral link. " If you use my link them we both earn $10 when you reddem an offer. " Most people say yes. I think most of the time they're just saying yes to be nice.

I also try to add, while I'm sending the link/waiting for the text to get to their phone, the ANY ITEM offers and how easy it is with the UPC scan option.

So there's my pitch, but as I've said I haven't had any successful referrals to date.

I think ultimately the general public is lazy. They're not in a situation that their financial situation almost forces them into seeking out deals and extra savings whenever possible. (Or they don't enjoy the thrill and challenge of the hunt and self pride some of us get from buying that item for 90% off the normal price. I love when it's on sale, I have a manufacturer coupon, and there is offers for it on one or more!! Of the rewards apps I use for almost every shopping trip.)

Overall just keep trying, talking about it whenever the subject can be discussed, and don't stop saving for yourself.

GOOD LUCK!!

HotLavaMama
Rewards Guide

I also have one referral like you She used it 2 times in a year So i asked her Why she did not use it more She said she was not earning enough to make it worth her time. I think most people expect to earn more than what they do .50, 1.00, 2.00, Free  I referred her last thanksgiving when  Ibotta and walmart had the free thanksgiving dinner She did not use to get it free. I don't understand I love free

HotLavaMama
Rewards Guide

Janet you are so right   People do not want to put in the time it takes..

0 Likes