cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you have a stockpile plan or strategy?

cheryl_123
Saver

As an independent contractor I try to maintain a rolling one month stockpile of household essentials and grocery staples to help weather lumpy income. I'd have a more robust stockpile if I had the room! This has me wondering if others actively manage their stockpiles and if they developed any best practices like maintaining an inventory or creative storage solutions?

12 Replies

Re: Do you have a stockpile plan or strategy?

FelskyNY
Deal Master

@cheryl_123  I think the biggest problem for many of us is having the room.  I stockpile until things start bursting at the seams.  Thankfully I had toilet paper and paper towels, because the shelves were bare here in NY during the worst of the pandemic. I think we all have our toothpaste stockpile.  I personally stockpile bodywash, hand soap, laundry pods, and dish soap.  (Oh wait, I see a theme.)  If it's free or close to free (and non-perishable), I stockpile it or donate it.

Lollykins
Core Shopper

My husband calls it my "collection".  I stockpile pasta, cereal, crackers, oatmeal, condiments, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, deodorant,  toothpaste, vitamins, OTC meds, bandaid, skin care products, laundry products, TP, and on and on the list goes.

If it's free, I'll take it!  I make several large donations every year to the local food bank.  And we use the rest.  Below is just a sample of my "stash".

20210722_142738.jpg

20210722_143029.jpg

The best way to save money is to spend less for the things you need to buy!

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@Lollykins  Wow, very nice ‘collection’! I wish I had a dedicated closet space just for my ‘collection’. 

Lollykins
Core Shopper

@Xiao Honestly, I have stuff crammed in every nook and cranny I can find. LOL. But it's just hubby & I in a 3 bedroom house, so there are a lot of closets and cabinets to fill.  I started out with just the one shelf in our linen closet, but it filled up fast and then the stash migrated into other areas: laundry room, bathroom cabinets, spare bedroom, office, etc.  And my pantry is bursting at the seams!  

I know it's time to gather up a donation for the food bank when I can't actually walk into my walk-in pantry. 😳

SaverGirl67

I was lucky enough to come from a large extended family and I had my great grandparents and all of my great aunts and uncles around when I was growing up. They lived through the depression and had incredible stockpiles in their homes. Honestly each had like a mini grocery store in their basement- 2 of them had their own walk-ins.

My parents had a smaller version- but also bought in bulk and there was always an abundance of food and supplies in the house at all times  (it does make throwing parties a breeze lol)

Living in FL I don’t have the luxury of a basement but I do have 2 refrigerators and 2 pantries plus multiple shelves for toiletries and cleaners. This came in very handy during the lockdown.

I find it’s much easier to save when you have a stockpile because you are never forced to pay full price for things you immediately need. It is also comforting to know I am at least partially prepared if things go really wrong. My great aunt used to tell me - food in the cupboard is better than money in the bank because there may come a time when even if you have money there is nothing to buy. It’s an extreme view of things-but I loved them all very much and never forgot the things they told me. And having my stockpile does make me happy. It feels like home. 

Saipan
Skilled Saver

No plan, no strategy, just piles of stock. 

Do keep protein/snack bars for "on the go" bites. I keep dried fruit (raisins, figs, dates...) for quick sugar fixes instead of candy.

I normally have a plethora of bottled/can energy beverages. Have some in green cans I have been working to drink up. Actually, speaking of plan/strategy, every time they are mentioned here I say "Are they that bad, let me drink one to recall. (sip, sip) Yeah, they are sort of abrasive, oh well 😆".

Xiao
Deal Ambassador

@SaverGirl67  I love your story - thank you for sharing! I need to buckle down and get more serious about my stockpile. But, first thing first - KonMari some storage spaces!

DanyelN
Rewards Guide

Because i am single and live alone my stockpile for most things is much smaller than average but it sure is nice to realize I am using the last of something and know that there is a spare in the pantry.  The Pantry is literally a garage shelf sitting in the corner of my laundry room.  lol  My big issue is storage and since I play he CVS game I have LOADS of HBA items.  When my stockpile gets too unwieldy I sort through and donate to a few different places.  Foodbanks are actually thrilled to get HBA items since that is something that folks who do get SNAP benefits still need.

Watch out for he dishwasher gel packs, if they sit too long in the stockpile they stop completely dissolving in the dishwasher.  

Rickibotta
Ultimate Saver

@Lollykins 

We live in the same house.  For starters I have a lot in my kitchen not a walk-in mind you.  But the primary is a 7'X2'X2' with 6 or 7 shelves.   And there are many other cabinets in the kitchen I use.  The first overflow started in the area under the stairs, whatever that is called....lol  Some things would go there on shelving units, drinks can go on the floor though.   I have to leave this area somewhat clear  since I live in tornado country and I do not have a basement.

Since ibotta, I now have moved a lot more into other rooms.   Most personal care is in big storage containers in the master bathroom, and the master closet.   Other food has actually made its way into my living room in storage shelves.   And some  on the floor in the store boxes, particularly the heavy items.  Contrary to the name, I do not 'live' in the living room, it is the front room of the house.  I don't really 'like' people......lol, so I don't actually have people over, and I don't have a woman around to tell me that I can't do this, so this is where some goes now  🤣

I haven't done as much donating because a lot was shut down here during pandemic.   I have 49 boxes of cereal, and some of them probably expired around November or December.  Last night, after seeing this thread, , I opened up a Frosted Flakes that expired in April.   So I have not bought much cereal the last 7 or 8 months.  I have only bought a few when they were moneymakers and I needed it for a bonus.   

"Remember, coupons are the only money you can print without the Feds getting involved"