cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Solved! Go to solution

How do you avoid referral red flags?

phillyman
Saver

I'm still relatively new to ibotta and I noticed several posts about members accounts being suspended after they made a referral.

I haven't made any referrals yet, but if and when I do, what is the best way to do it to avoid an account suspension? In other words, what are the red flags for referrals?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes

Accepted Solutions
Solved! Go to solution

Re: How do you avoid referral red flags?

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@phillyman 

I simply avoid referrals.  I am not one of the larger 'earners', but I do rack up around $1,000 in  ibotta rebates a year, and with all the troubles with deactivated accounts or locked accounts (can't withdraw), it simply has not been worth it to try to make $10, or $50 for that matter, in referrals

I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but I am just saying that way too many people have issues when doing referrals for me to mess with it.   I know when they do certain promotions like the Thanksgiving one, many regular users do referrals without issue.

I just figure a scenario where someone signs up for ibotta because someone referred them, they complete one offer, they get their signup bonus, and then refer 3 people, two of which do one offer to get their signup bonus, and they do the same, etc etc.    Those situations probably get flagged at an extremely high rate.

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"

View solution in original post

Solved! Go to solution

TXbelle
Super Saver

@phillyman 

When I first started using Ibotta,  I would try to tell family and friends about how much money I save. Most weren't interested so I just backed off. My sister signed up using my code but never used it.  I have encountered strangers while Ibotta shopping and if they seem curious, I will tell them how I am getting stuff for little or no oop. If they are really interested I give them my code,  go on my way, and forget about getting anything for it. Amazingly, 2 actually followed through and started using Ibotta.  I have received $20 cash back from Ibotta for 2 referrals. My regret is I can't help them learn to maximize their earnings because they are complete strangers so I have no way to contact them. I gave the last person my community name along with the code. I told her how beneficial this group is! So if you signed up for Ibotta because of a woman you spoke to in the Euless Target, thank you for joining. Tag me anytime!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Solved! Go to solution

Theresar
Deal Sharer

i would enjoy hearing an answer to this referral question.  I do not do referrals anymore.  Burned twice with unhappy friends.  I  do save with Ibotta.  The Nateen (sp?) toothpaste is wonderful and Free! 

Tags (1)
Solved! Go to solution

Saipan
Deal Expert
0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Rickibotta
Deal Master

@phillyman 

I simply avoid referrals.  I am not one of the larger 'earners', but I do rack up around $1,000 in  ibotta rebates a year, and with all the troubles with deactivated accounts or locked accounts (can't withdraw), it simply has not been worth it to try to make $10, or $50 for that matter, in referrals

I know that is not the answer you are looking for, but I am just saying that way too many people have issues when doing referrals for me to mess with it.   I know when they do certain promotions like the Thanksgiving one, many regular users do referrals without issue.

I just figure a scenario where someone signs up for ibotta because someone referred them, they complete one offer, they get their signup bonus, and then refer 3 people, two of which do one offer to get their signup bonus, and they do the same, etc etc.    Those situations probably get flagged at an extremely high rate.

“about me: Suburbs of Indianapolis Indiana. BOILER UP!! Favorite stores: Kroger & Meijer"
Solved! Go to solution

TXbelle
Super Saver

@phillyman 

When I first started using Ibotta,  I would try to tell family and friends about how much money I save. Most weren't interested so I just backed off. My sister signed up using my code but never used it.  I have encountered strangers while Ibotta shopping and if they seem curious, I will tell them how I am getting stuff for little or no oop. If they are really interested I give them my code,  go on my way, and forget about getting anything for it. Amazingly, 2 actually followed through and started using Ibotta.  I have received $20 cash back from Ibotta for 2 referrals. My regret is I can't help them learn to maximize their earnings because they are complete strangers so I have no way to contact them. I gave the last person my community name along with the code. I told her how beneficial this group is! So if you signed up for Ibotta because of a woman you spoke to in the Euless Target, thank you for joining. Tag me anytime!