cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Solved! Go to solution

Ibotta background app added without permission?

Dean
Deal Ambassador

I got this message on my Windows 10 laptop. This is the PC that the Chrome extension is installed. I didn't get a message to install it. What's going on? @LaraL 

Screenshot (2).png

0 Likes

Accepted Solutions
Solved! Go to solution

Re: Ibotta background app added without permission?

LaraL
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Ok so apparently we're testing out a feature that will help with getting cash back on sites like Amazon. I passed along that it comes across as invasive and concerning when that message shows up.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Community Manager

For clarification, are you asking why it was was installed?

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Dean
Deal Ambassador

I'm asking what was installed and why was it installed. I'm very particular about what gets installed on my computers. Maybe it's related to the Chrome extension since it references Google Chrome in the message. But the message does say that a new background app was added. Other than the extension, I haven't agreed to install any other Ibotta software on my computer.

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Community Manager

If you uninstall the extension does the background app get removed with it? I believe it's just the extension itself.

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Dean
Deal Ambassador

After a bit of checking, I found a new folder named 3.41.0_0 in the Chrome Extensions folder created today. The folder name matches up with the browser extension version number 3.41.0 show in Chrome settings. Plus the files in the folder have Ibotta all over them. So it appears it's an extension upgrade from version 3.40.0.

But the other question is why does it need to continue running even when Chrome is closed? Don't know but if anyone wants to keep extensions from running. go to Chrome Settings, select Advanced, then System. Toggle off the switch for Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Community Manager

That's a good question, let me ask.

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Community Manager

Ok so apparently we're testing out a feature that will help with getting cash back on sites like Amazon. I passed along that it comes across as invasive and concerning when that message shows up.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Solved! Go to solution

Dean
Deal Ambassador

Thanks for checking. I’m sure the extension has been updated in the past but this is the first time I remember a notification popping up about it. 

Solved! Go to solution

LaraL
Community Manager

They're currently discussing pulling that functionality, so that might happen.

0 Likes